Cable theft is crippling South Africa:
- TRANSNET loses R1.6m per day or R584m per year 1
- TELKOM loses R300,000 per day or R100m per year 2
- ESKOM loses R5.5m per day or R2,000m per year 3
- PRASA loses R2.1m per day or R750m per year 4
- 3 Gauteng Metros lose R1.4m per day or R500m per year 5
- Copper cables to the value ofR173m was stolen from Gauteng Railway lines 6
That is a total of R3.93b per year – and that is only the cable cost. The true effect of cable theft in loss of production and operations is a factor of 35-50 times the value of the cable. Using the South African factor of loss=39 times cable value, South Africa is losing a staggering R187b per year.